WE'VE MOVED! Visit us at our new page.

The Batter Thickens: Apple Butter Bread with Cinnamon Glaze

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Apple Butter Bread with Cinnamon Glaze


So I was a pretty weird kid. (Yes, in general, but I am talking specifically food-wise here.) That might be surprising to some, seeing as now I run a baking blog and will eat (or try, I should say) literally anything you put in front of me, but back in the day I was a very picky eater. I wouldn't eat pasta until I was about 5, and cheese even later after that. I don't know about you, but pasta and cheese seem like childhood staples. Like Mac & Cheese? That was my nightmare meal. And when we had spaghetti and meatballs, I would just get a bowl of meatballs with no noodles. (I mean, I'm not complaining, I'd still take that now.)

But I did LOVE PB&J sandwiches. Yet I was also weird because guess what I loved more than PB&J? Peanut butter and apple butter sandwiches. I probably ate it everyday for lunch for a straight year. All of kindergarten at least. I was obsessed. I thought I was pretty special too, because everyone had PB&J, but no one had PB&AB. If you have not tried the combination I don't think you have really lived. You have just been in a weird vegetative pre-PB&AB slumber.

So here, my friends, is the sophisticated equivalent of my childhood love:



I'm sad to say there is no great story behind this recipe. I found it while FoodGawk-ing and just couldn't not make it. I couldn't just scroll by it. I couldn't forget I had ever seen it. I HAD to make it.



ASAP.



Because you never pass up apple butter anything. #unspokenruleoflife



Speaking of which, I have been finding a plethora of apple butter baked goods recently. I can't believe I never thought to bake with apple butter before now! It is brilliant! And perfect for fall. Because believe me, this bread is a taste of fall. It's like a little explosion of fall in your mouth. Even if you live somewhere like I do and the weather is still bipolar and the leaves are still mainly green, it will make you feel like you’re curled up with your favorite book, a bulky sweater, and a blanket looking outside the window at the multi-colored leaves, not letting the cold pierce your cocoon of warmth.

AKA- It's perfect for snuggling up under a blanket on cold Saturday mornings in fall with a book and savoring ever single bite. And then getting up to get another piece. Maybe even two.



And one thing that I suggest insist you do: put peanut butter on this. (it makes it healthy ;)) And eat at least one slice warm, straight from the oven. And toast every slice you have once it's cold. You will not be disappointed. I promise. I PINKY promise.



Trust me.



Would I lie to you?



Maybe. A white lie occasionally. But about food? No. Never.




I suggest you go make this right now. And while it's in the oven, you should check out our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages, because they post lots of pictures of food and updates about the happenings of our kitchen. (Our kitchen is very exciting. Therefore so are the happenings inside it.) There are links right down there before the recipe if you want to click them *wink, wink*
And expect many more apple butter goodies to be gracing this blog very soon ;)

-Audrey

                                                            Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Apple Butter Bread with Cinnamon Glaze
Yield: 1 loaf  

For the bread:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground allspice
       (If necessary, you can substitute the cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice with 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice)
1 cup apple butter
3/4 chopped pecans (optional!)

Cinnamon Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1-2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
In the bowl of an electric mixer cream the butter and brown sugar. Add the egg and beat well. In glass measuring cup combine the buttermilk and baking soda. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour.

Stir in the apple butter and chopped pecans (Definitely optional). Pour into a greased 9-in x 5-in x 3-in loaf pan. Bake at 350 F for 1 hour and 5 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Depending on your oven, you may need to cook for more or less time. Do not over bake or your bread will turn out dry. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

For the Glaze: Mix together the powdered sugar, butter, cinnamon, vanilla, and enough milk to reach your desired consistency. I usually use 1-2 tbsp. Drizzle over the bread and allow to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment