WE'VE MOVED! Visit us at our new page.

The Batter Thickens: Nutella Swirled Peanut Butter Banana Bread

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Nutella Swirled Peanut Butter Banana Bread

WE'VE MOVED! Now redirecting you to our new page.

So I think we all have had the experience of having too many bananas in the house... And too little time to eat them. If you have not had this experience, eat  more bananas! They are good for your colon I bet! 

This is exactly what you should do with these excess bananas that no one wants to eat because they are all brown and awkward and no one wants to eat a brown banana! They are supposed to be yellow! And if normal banana bread has never really been your thing, just forget about it. Forget any bad experiences involving banana bread you may have had in the past.

This is a cake-y, flavorful, sweet yet breakfast-y, and spot-hitting bread. The peanut butter & banana combo makes it taste breakfast-y, and the Nutella swirls add chocolate-y sweetness to every bite! (I feel like I'm writing ome commercial for this bread: "Your bananas will be transformed in just one hour from disgusting brown things into delicious bread! Only 350 degrees! Your tastebuds will love it!")


I haven't had a ton of experience with swirling in baking because I generally try to stay away from it, as it doesn't really always go so well. But this worked! I filled the pan halfway with the bread batter, and then globbed on tablespoons of Nutella (and a smidge of peanut butter, because I didn't have Reese's cups). I swirled it round with a spatula, and it ended up kind of blending with the top layer of the batter and forming a sort of Nutella layer, not so much swirls, and then I covered that again with batter.


I am a fan of writing exercises, so I am going to give myself one: describe this banana bread in three words.

Sweet but healthy.
Yummy, delicious, scrumptious.
In my mouth.
Give me more.
I won't share.
Eat whole pan.
Breakfast, lunch, dinner.
Decadent, sweet, healthy. (Can those even go together? :P)
Hint of banana.
Chocolate, peanut, banana.

I'm evidently running out of phrases, but you get the idea! They're good! You'll definitely like it!


Somehow I was able to capture a picture of one of these pieces mid-eating before it was all stuffed in my face! I hope you enjoy it. Eat it with your eyes, (But don't lick your screen. That would be weird. And the germaphobe inside me quivers at the thought.)



I must say, that after writing this and saying "banana" umpteen times, that I now have the Gwen Stefani classic, "Hollaback Girl"stuck in my head, where she spells bananas (for no apparent reason) in her song. If you've never heard this, I recommend looking it up. You will forever know how to spell B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
-Audrey


Nutella Swirled Peanut Butter Banana Bread

3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1.5 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup Reese’s mini cups 
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 heaping tablespoons Nutella
Preheat oven to 350F. Spray loaf pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.  In a large bowl, whisk together bananas, peanut butter, oil, egg and sugars.

Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Batter will be very thick. DO NOT OVERMIX.  Fold in Reese’s Mini cups and chocolate chips. Spread batter into prepared pan. Drop 3 tablespoons of Nutella on top of bread in a row. Swirl with a knife.

Bake for about 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Baking times may vary.

Let cool in loaf pan for 10 minutes, then loosen the edges of the pan with a knife and remove from loaf pan, transferring bread to a cooling rack. Let my bread cool for about 2 hours before cutting into it.

4 comments:

  1. This recipe deserves to be immortalized! Nice job...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you keep trying to manipulate us into believing these are HEALTHY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best lies contain some element of truth! ;)

      Delete